Origin and Aims
The Foundation for Urban and Regional Studies Ltd was set up in 1995 as a charity under the Companies Act. Its main source of income is the surplus generated by the International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, the leading critical urban and regional studies journal established in 1977 and published by Wiley-Blackwell. IJURR is run by a wholly-owned subsidiary of FURS.
The aims of FURS are to 'promote and improve social scientific research, education and scholarship in the field of urban, rural and regional studies'. To this end it may:
1. publish journals, books, articles, bulletins, reports and other materials in any media,
2. arrange and host or support courses, workshops, seminars and other educational activities,
3. provide for individuals to participate in conferences, courses, workshops, seminars and other educational activities, and
4. arrange or support research and activities related to research.
In practice it focuses on three main activities: giving studentships to postgraduate research students, giving research grants and running an international essay competition. The details of how these work (rules, application forms) and the names of the recipients and essay competition winners can be found elsewhere on this website.
FURS is run by Trustees who hold an annual meeting. They are currently: Linda McDowell (Chair), Tim Butler (Treasurer), Fulong Wu, Eduardo Marques, Judit Bodnar, Patrick le Galès, Alex Loftus and Paula Meth. The Company Secretary and Administrator of FURS is Sally Pepperall.
Further information about the origins of FURS can be found in an article in International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 22 (4), 1998, 676-682.
- Applications now being welcomed for the 2015 Studentship, Research and Writing-Up Grant Competition. Deadline of midnight, 31st January 2015.
- Call for candidates to participate in IV RC21-IJURR-FURS Summer School in Comparative Urban Studies now open. Deadline of 31st January 2015.
- Applications now being welcomed for the 2015 Ray Pahl Fellowship in Chile! Deadline of 12th December 2014.
- 2015 Essay Competition now open! Deadline of 31st May 2015.